O also in Maria Laach. When the monastery was founded in 1093, a library was also constructed at this place, in which not only writings had been collected. Inside a scriptorium developed below Abbot Fulbert, manuscripts have been also developed.
When the Maria Laach Abbey was abolished in 1802, nothing with the old library building or the current library was preserved. The manuscripts and prints – around 3700 volumes – were irrevocably lost for the monastery. Nowadays 69 manuscripts in the historic monastery library of Laach can still be located in other areas. Only two of those manuscripts have returned to today’s library.
This developing was empty when the Benedictines repopulated the monastery in 1892. The Jesuits, expelled in the territory on the new German Empire in 1872, had taken their books abroad with them. The area was soon filled with countless donations and purchases. Duplicates from the Beuron Archabbey and gifts in the monastery libraries in Einsiedeln and Engelberg formed the basis. There was also a large collection of old books in the library in the Benedictine monastery Neustadt am Primary, which was also closed in 1802.
At present the library has around 260,000 volumes. The majority of it is now placed inside the new magazine. The administration rooms in addition to a new reading space are also located there.
The older part with the collection has kept its location inside the Jesuit library, which has been restored in line with monument preservation criteria. Exceptions are especially old and useful volumes that are kept in a secure rarity magazine under perfect climatic circumstances. By far the most crucial manuscript in the historical library for today’s convent would be the chapter book with martyrology, Benedictine rule and Laacher necrology from about 1500.
The library will need to often produce the monks having a wide selection of spiritual and scientific literature. Over time, the a number of activities from the abbey and a few of its members resulted inside a number of what is nursing informatics priorities that were intensively cultivated. Alongside the history and theology of monasticism, the liturgy developed into the most significant unique collection area. We are especially proud of a collection of prints in the Rule of Benedict (about 300 editions). Additionally, publications around the area have been constantly collected. The stock of subject-related journals is considerable and is still becoming maintained.
Currently, the library is primarily implemented for scientific function, which can be nonetheless carried http://csw.arizona.edu/person/diane-daly out by individual monks along with the dnpcapstoneproject.com “Abt-Herwegen Institute” positioned here? Is completed. In addition, it ensures that the convent is supplied with literature from all fields.
For organizational and logistical causes, the abbey can’t offer general opening occasions for the library. Nonetheless, it really is offered as a reference library to any interested reader soon after prior registration and consultation. We are also connected towards the interlibrary loan system in the German libraries.